Summer Reflections and Fall Forward

Hello all!

Now that the craziness of the new school year has started to settle we can finally sit back and reflect on the past summer.

Firstly, this July marked the beginning of my position as 2015-16 farm manager. In an attempt to introduce myself in the least awkward way (third person? first person? whatever) I want to give you a little background as to who I am. This past year I graduated from UC Santa Cruz with a degree in Environmental Studies focusing in Agroecology. In my time at UCSC I interned on the 30-acre organic farm and 5-acre market garden at the Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems under the guidance of gardening guru Orin Martin. Additionally, I was a core member of a student garden cooperative where I had the opportunity to teach student-directed-seminars and workshops. You can find me on the farm wearing a way too dirty Oakland A’s baseball cap 99% of the time.

With that bit out of the way I want to mention some highlights of the past two months I have been here. Our summer produce box membership was a huge success and hopefully many of you reading this enjoyed your weekly boxes of fresh and interesting produce. Hundreds of pounds of tomatoes, eggplant, squash, sapotes, carrots, cucumbers, and even NECTARINES went to the bellies of Pomona faculty all summer long.

The past month also marks some of the largest events held on the farm yet. Over 500 visitors came to a BBQ hosted in collaboration with the orientation committee and we are proud to say for the first time every Pomona first year has been to the farm! We also hosted a Farm Orientation giving tours to almost 100 visitors. All of this outreach has paid off and the first Farm Club meeting saw an incredible 60+ excited future farmies.

Fall is coming sooner than we think, and despite the 100 degree days we are starting cool season starts in our greenhouse. Come October 1 we are going to attempt to plant out kale, cabbage, broccoli, beets, carrots, and peas, using the last of the summer heat to jumpstart them before the cool weather sweetens them up.

We also have a lot of exciting workshops coming up including cooking workshops every other Thursday led by our awesome farmie Emily Hill. Keep an eye on the Facebook page and our emails for workshop reminders. A little bit of what’s in store includes: Mushrooms, vermiculture, edible insects, winter pruning, tea making, and more.

Hope to see you Saturdays 10-12pm for volunteer workdays. Here’s to the new year!

-Scott